Bring the Shades and Textures of Fall to Your Home
As summer comes to an end, it’s time to replace and revive your summer garden containers!
Fall container gardening adds a fun and seasonal splash of colour to your entryway. As summer transitions into fall, think about replacing your summer planters with hardier autumnal plants.
We love mixing eye-popping blooms with rustic grasses and foliage. For a modern twist, you could even incorporate succulents as anchors for your container (click here to learn more about succulents).
Fall containers are perfect for your outdoor fall decor, as they look great from September until the snow flies. Incorporating gourds and other festive objects into your fall planters makes for a great combination.
Four Fall Container Tips:
- Combine 3-6 different plants with varying heights, textures and colours to add contrast and interest.
- Choose plants for lasting foliage: flowers are fleeting, choose hardy and dependable anchors for fall pots; grasses, decorative cabbage and kale, pansies and mums.
- Be bold! Utilize rich fall colours; reds, oranges, browns, deep purple and yellow as well as other fall staples such as pumpkins, gourds, straw, hay and decorations.
- WATER! Just because the temperatures are cooling down, don’t forget your planters still need water!
Classic Plants for Fall Containers:
- Garden Mums
- Heucher aka Coral Bells
- Oxalis or Shamrock
- Decorative Cabbage and Kale
For some great planter designs check out this link- Better Homes & Gardens
– Jenna Monk